10.17.10

The Challenge of BeBop

Posted in Uncategorized at 8:16 pm by nicole

It’s interesting how passionate the musicians of the bebop era are about distinguishing bebop music from jazz, even though it’s origins are from jazz. I honestly didn’t even know that bebop was a part of jazz before reading this. I recognize the names of the bebop artists of the time but not so much the music. Yet, without knowing the style of music Porter does a good job giving a little introduction to bebop through his musical description. I feel like beboppers mostly wanted to deter from jazz because they thought jazz was too politically outspoken in discussing African American’s unhappiness with the times. Jazz was representation of settling and dealing with the unhappiness while bebop represented change and progression. Bebop lacked boundaries and challenged other music at the time. This seemed to be the attitude African American’s had about their situation also. Even though they were struggling with racial inequalities they were motivated to do and have better things.
 The bebop movement was a big step forward in the African American community since they had more freedom to make the music there own. Bebop artists disagree, but I do believe there are indirect political messages in the bebop movement. I feel like songwriters write about what they know and things that happen to them in there lives. The songwriters of the bebop era were struggling with discrimination, therefore, even if they never directly stated there struggles it was somehow integrated into their music because it was apart of them. Also Porter says that beboppers tried to educate they’re audience and uplift them which I feel shows political activism by taking a negative situation and making it more positive
 Along with the social restrictions at the time the creative restrictions seem to be what contributed to bebop’s rise in popularity as well as it’s demise. During the introduction of bebop the lack of limitations were fresh and exciting then later rejected. As with music today marketing ability was a big component to selling the music as well as the artist. It’s interesting to see how the initial appeal of bebop was supposed to be it’s originality but when that wasn’t selling the marketing strategy changed to dance appeal. This is interesting to show how quickly musicians have to sell out in order to make a buck. The movement was an exciting change to music, everyone involved believed in the music they were making because it promoted a change, therefore to have to sell out and market it differently for recognition seems less genuine.

1.    janki ahir said,

January 27, 2014 at 1:37 am

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this superb blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group. Talk soon!
    http://www.whatismyresults.in